FLY FISHING NEWS, GUIDED FISHING TIPS, FLIES FOR THE SEASON, RIVERS TO FISH IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA
With the summer ending and cooler temperatures around the corner, fall offers
great fishing opportunities on the rivers of Western North Carolina. The
rivers in our area are in the healthiest condition for Fly Fishing that I
have seen for many years due to the additional rain we have had this summer.
The Streams in the Smoky Mountains produced good trout fishing opportunities
all season and I look for that to continue. Try matching the hatch with Dry
Flies. Copper John, Prince Nymphs and Pheasant Tails are still working well.
The Main Stem of Nantahala River is releasing water daily and October will be a great time to take advantage of a float trip in the drift boat or raft if
you want to try to find one of those big Nantahala River Brown Trout.
Delayed Harvest on the Upper Nantahala River and Tuckaseegee River begins
today October 1. Also, a new section of Snowbird Creek will be added to the
Delayed Harvest options. Be aware that it usually takes a few days before
the Wildlife Commission can get all the rivers stocked for the month.
We have been floating and wading the Little Tennessee River this past month
for Small Mouth Bass. When September rolls around it is hard to catch me in
the office. The Little Tennessee, Tuckaseegee and French Broad Rivers are my
favorite places to fish for Small Mouth Bass and the occasional Musky. While
trout are fun to catch, give me a Small Mouth Bass on a fly rod any day and
hooking into one of the Muskies that haunt the French Broad can be an
explosive event. Poppers, Streamers and Wiggle Minnows will keep the fishing
action interesting. Did I just let the cat out of the bag? Hope not! Come
do a day of fishing and I might show you the secret Small Mouth Fly of the
Flies for this time of year: Blue Wing Olives, Midges, Wolf Patterns, Orange
Palmers Caddis Flies, Stimulators and Hoppers in a variety of sizes will
work. Match your size and color and you should do well. Put a Copper John,
Flashback Pheasant Tail or Pheasant Tail as a dropper and double your chances
to score. With the Nantahala River and Tuckaseege River releasing extra
water, another good stand by that always has the potential to surprise you
with a big trout is any Streamer imitating a Small Rainbow or Sculpin, like a
Black Nosed Dace, Muddler Minnows or the, ever popular, Wooly Bugger in Black
or Olive. Inch Worms, Girdle Bugs with rubber legs, Dark Stone Flies and
Rubber Legged Nymph Patterns will pleasantly surprise you on both the main
stem and the delayed harvest sections.
The Fly Fisherman’s Loft
Getting your license is more convenient now! Just stop into the store New
for this season, you can conveniently buy your fishing licenses right here at
- We stock the flies that work in our area as well as Leaders, Tippets, Fly Line and other fishing accessories. Advice is free!
- Check out our fly supply at Endless River Adventures Fly Fishing Loft. We carry the patterns that work well on our local rivers. Dry Flies sell for $1.00 per fly, Nymphs sell for $1.25. We have a full supply of great Small Mouth Streamers and Poppers in stock as well. We stock Scientific Angler Leaders and Tippets. Let us put a custom TFO Rod and Reel together for you to start catching trout and small mouth bass today. Make sure to check out our wading boots and waders from Chota. This is what I wear when I head for the river, Chota is the most comfortable and durable fly fishing gear on the market.
- Need waders or wading boots? With the cold water and cool weather, picking up a pair of Chota waders and wadding boots will make it much more comfortable on the river. I use Chota waders and boots myself and can tell you first hand what a great product Chota is.
- If you are looking for a new rod and reel, try our TFO, Temple Fork Outfitter, rods and reels. TFO is the best fly fishing rod for the money with the best warranty in the industry. Come in try a TFO fly rod and we will take a look at your casting and maybe help improve your casting skills.
- Always wanted to get your son or daughter into fly fishing, we have got the perfect rod and reel outfits for kids. Just the right size for them to learn how to cast and catch their first fish on a fly rod!
Ready to get out and float, wade or both? Call early to make your fall